Thursday, October 21, 2010

Usefulness

After completing the first two assignments I have learned a lot about how to make effective arguments, social organizations, and how to distinguish a weak arguments from a strong argument. For instance, assignment 2 which is based on Social Organizations gave me very useful knowledge. My group and I chose to discuss PETA which stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. I was never aware of how animals were cruelly treated by humans for experiments, entertainments, clothing, and food. I was shocked by graphic images PETA put on their websites. For instance, there is video of a bull being killed for entertainment because it is traditional in that particular country. This assignment has made me contemplate my views about animals rights. Now, I feel that I stand against animals being used for entertainment, clothing and experiments. Animals are living organisms and deserve rights just like humans do. For this assignment, we had to find if there were any fallacies in the social organizations argument. I found a few like, "strawman". We also had to look for concealed claims. This assignment helped reinforce the lessons from the Epstein textbook.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree. In addition to learning how to apply everything we have been learning, we are also learning about different existing organizations. It is great to think we are killing two birds with one stone, you know! We get to also see the different reasonings, claims, and such that people use in the real world. This then allows us to analyze even more and give another new perspective on things just like how you now have a new opinion on something. I think its also great having an opinion on things because it shows we have been knowledged and aware of certain things that are going on in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked assignment #2 more than the first assignment! And I just want to point out that our group chose PETA as our social organization to write a paper about. Everyone chose to do PETA for this assignment! In my post I said I liked the second assignment more because we are able to connect more with the organizations as to looking at the editorial letter and trying to analyze it. I like how you gave examples from the website such as the bull being killed for entertainment. I think its really sad and I totally agree with what you believe in. Animals are living organisms and shouldn’t be taken advantage of because they don’t have a voice to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I liked your post. It was very good. My group did not do PETA but after reading your posts I think I want to go and research PETA on my own. I like how you talked about the things we had to apply while doing the assignment. How how you talked about those things being reinforcement to what we were supposed to already know. I liked how you gave your views on how you felt on animals after learning about the organization. I like how you gave examples of what you found on the website. It helped give us a picture of what you were talking about. I do not think I would want to watch a video of an animal being killed though. That just seems really cruel for someone to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post is very straightforward and easy to understand. I think I learn something from your post because I do not know about PETA organization. After reading your post, I think I will give the website a visit. I agree with you about what we learn from the previous assignments. It is true that we learn how to have a strong and good argument. Furthermore, we also learn how to avoid the fallacies that the organizations or news make. I enjoy analyze the arguments and learn from them. Overall, I think the two major assignment are very helpful for students in this course.

    ReplyDelete