Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chapter 8

In Chapter 8, I learned about General Claims and their contradictories. The books says that people make general claims all the time by using the word, "some". For example, "some peoeple  will go to school tomorrow. According to the text, in order to use "some" it means that at least one person will go to school tomorrow in order for it to be true. People used the word "some" because they are not sure of the exact amount or number. A story that I have is, my psychology instructor was telling the class last week that
"some people will go to the experiment fair November 7th if they want to complete their required experiments assignment." My psychology instructor was mentioning how at least one person from the class will go to the experiment fair. In chapter 8, I also learned about Precise Generalities which are general statements that have a precise number in the the argument. For instance, a personal story of mine is that, my friend was telling me that "getting married doesn't always turn out to be a fairy tale because 50% of couples end up in divorce."

1 comment:

  1. Yes, people make general claims all the time. I think I do that most of the time and I did not even know. Now since I read your blog, I have a clear understanding of it. I liked your personal example. Since the textbook says that “some” means at least one, your example fits in well. Your teacher did not know how many students were going to show up, so he used a general claim. When I read the text, I did not have a clue what Precise Generalities was. I did not understand what the text was trying to tell me but now I understand. I think that it is true that couples end up in divorces. I don’t believe its 50 percent, but I do believe that marriages ends in divorces.

    ReplyDelete