Thursday, October 7, 2010

Compound Claims and the Contradictory of a Claim

Two things that I learned  from chapter 6 were compound claims and the contradictory of a claim.
According to the text, a compound claim is "one composed of other claims, but which has to be viewed as just one claim" (Epstein 113). The word "or" can connect to claims and turn it into a compound claim. An example of a compound claim is "Either Tanya will attend Stanford University in the fall or will attend UC Berkeley in the fall."

According to the text the contradictory of a claim is "one that has the opposite truth-value in all possible circumstances. Sometimes a contradictory is called the negation of a claim" (Epstein 114). An example of a the contradictory of claim is, "My mom is going to Whole Foods this afternoon.....My mom is not going to Whole Foods this afternoon." Another example is, "My mom or dad will wash the car today....Neither my mom nor dad will wash the car today."

3 comments:

  1. It seems as though quite a few people chose these two topics for Chapter six! I found your definitions very useful and straight to the point. I liked how you cited your source at the ends of the definitions as well. I also found contradictory claims useful and interesting. Reading this section and your post really brought to my attention how many people use contradictory claims on a daily basis. It was definitely a good idea to give more than one example, as you did, in order to help people to better understand the definitions. Your post was very easy to read and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog. It seems that you have good understanding of the concept. This is a simple and straight forward concept and you undoubtable grasped it greatly. This blog is very straight forward and to the point. You did not complicate anything. Goes to show that you understand the concept and can use it for future uses. "Or" does not have to act a word that connects two different claims-- it can just be connecting two situations that are connected and relevant to one another. I guess that is kind of a key word for "or" -- connected. Also contradicting arguments are just pretty much the complete opposite of the original statement. Perfect and simple example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your blog. I feel like the majority of the class chose these topics from the chapter. I feel you analyzed the chapter very well and could teach it to the class if you chose to. In your blog you were very concise and you did not wander from the topic at hand. I liked the fact that you gave more than one example in your post as well. In my opinion this gave your post more credibility because you backed up your thoughts with more than one good example. All in all, you did a good job as always!

    ReplyDelete