Friday, September 17, 2010

Violating the Principle of Rational Discussion

I chose to discuss Begging the Question which states, "The point of an argument is to convince that a claim is true. So the premises of an argument have to be more plausible than the conclusion."

This is basically saying that the first few statements that a person is arguing about have to be believable because the argument would be considered weak if the premises were not plausible. People are not going to agree or understand what you are arguing about if the premises are not plausible. The people listening would probably just choose to not listen to the argument.

One example of Begging the Question that I can remember from my everyday life is me arguing with my parents to buy me and own car. My argument was, "Not having a car gives me too many restrictions, I have to rely on others for rides and it gets too inconvenient for my dad and I because we both have to share the car. I am late to everything because I don't have my own car and it restricts me from getting a part-time job."

The premises of my argument are believable which it make it a strong argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment